Friday, February 26, 2010

one simple thought

I'm not going to wax too poetic on this blog entry. But I feel an urge to put down this one simple thought: that all of the materials I use to teach comprehension, fluency, vocabulary, phonics, and all the ins and outs of turning out better readers - would never lead to my desired outcomes if I left out one key ingredient: love. There is a certain kind of love that exists in my classroom. It cannot be defined, but it can be detected. My students come from places where they cannot let their guards down, where they lie, steal and cheat to survive. Somehow--I honestly don't know how--I figured out that my success depends on my being able to offer these boys a place where they feel respected, valued and safe on a consistent basis. Mine is a small classroom, but it offers deep dividends in potential for learning. And it's because of love. Without it, I'd be a failure. And I could never live with that.

2 comments:

  1. I should mention that there's a certain kind of love that my students offer me in return, and I kind of dig that. Actually, I might need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, it's the reason I put up with the meowing and such nonsense. I know it's their way of showing me I'm important to them. It comes from the place of "we only pick on the ones we care for".

    ReplyDelete